Is it normal to have thyroid disorder despite having normal TSH levels?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Can I still have a thyroid problem if my TSH level is normal?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
I understand what you are saying here. Sometimes the symptoms of an under-active thyroid are similar to one experienced by a lot of people in general such as fatigue and weight gain. That is why it's best to check blood levels of TSH and Free T4. If these two are normal it is extremely unlikely you have a thyroid problem. There are rare conditions like Secondary Hypothyroidism which are more challenging to diagnose but even in this situation at least one of the two ( either TSH or Free t4 ) should be abnormal
Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 10 minutes later
I feel tired most of the time, have a problem of taking weight off, dry skin, loosing hair along with my nails craking, sliting, and peeling could it be some other condition other than my thyroid? I don't use salt on my food, but I use spices to flavor the food instead. I also do not use sugar but slpenda or tuvia. Either way my in take is in moderation and I eat any where from 4 to 6 times a day. If my blood sugar was off a little could my symptoms be the same for a thryoid problem.. When I was newly married I found out my thyroid did not work and over the last 25 years has been increased. However, now the doctor has taken my thyroid medicine away. I just do not know what else to do.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
High glucoses can also have a variety of symptoms.

When I see someone like you I order the following blood tests in addition to a thorough physical examination:

1 CBC
2 CMP
3 HbA1c
4 TSH
5 Free T4
6 anti TPO (Thyroid Peroxidase) antibodies
7 anti Thyroglobulin antibodies
8 Serum 25 hydroxy Vitamin D

These tests are useful screening tests to give us a fair idea of general medical health as well as potentially rules out diabetes, thyroid and vitamin D problems

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist