Is it normal to have swelling this long after cast removed?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: HAD left hand carpal tunnel release 3 weeks ago,splint and bandage stayed on without removal entire 3 week removed 01/03/18 3 days ago,even with hand elevated at night ,when doing hand exercises or not swelling returns to fingers and hand ,good color to nail beds hand not cold no fever,no post op drainage when bandage removed ,tiny spotting after steri strips applied for one evening,hands and fingers get so tight as much as skin will allow ,any cause for alarm,wont see hand surgeon for one month ?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Limb elevation, medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

I have read your query and understood your problem.

Usually swelling stays on till the bandage is applied. A few days after the removal it is not unusual for swelling to be present.

However, it is advisable to perform finger movements and keep the hand in a posterity the fingertips facing the ceiling. You can take an over the counter Tablet Medicine with Serratiopeptidase or Trypsin, Bromelain as the content, twice a day for 3 days. This may hermit speed up the drainage of the fluid from the hand.

If you have pain, tense swelling, redness it is advisable to show to the Emergency services.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T