Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Is it normal to have soreness in abdomen and throat after a Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
I had a ercp performed on my upper abdomen its a bit sore and also my throat is there anything that will help soothe the soreness? The procedure was done yesterday
Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Warm saline gargling will help Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to healthcare-magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXX Soreness in the Oesophagus and throat is quite common following instrumentation of Upper Gastro-intestinal tract. Its usually self limiting and should subside in couple of days time. I would suggest you the following which will definitely give the much needed relief 1. Warm Saline Gargling: Add two teaspoon of common table salt to a glass of lukewarm water( bring the water to boil thoroughly and allow it to cool to make it lukewarm). Gargle 3- 4 times a day. This is a written advise i give to all my patients and none have got back to me with complaints of soreness 2. To a glass of milk add the following + 10 leaves of Tulsi(if available in your locality)+ 2 black pepper+ 1 spoon of turmeric(antiseptic action)+ 2 gm of ginger+ 2 spoon of sugar(to make it palatable). Bring the mixture to boil making a decoction of it. Strain it using a strainer. Drink it hot with few sips at a time(the same way as you drink frshly brewed coffee). Drink 3 - 4 times a day. 3. To a sugar cube or sugar candy add two drops of fresh lemon juice and chew it: It promotes salivation, salivation by its flushing and antibacterial action helps soothen throat. I hope it helped In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Wishing you and your family a happy new year. Take care Best regards Dr Deepak K k MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor