Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Is it normal to have smelly ear in child who had swimmers ear that turned into ear infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14995 Questions
Hi, my 11 yr. old son started with swimmers ear and hen it shifted into an ear no longer hurts...he has been on amoxycillon for a week but his ear smells like infection (kind of yeasty) that common? and should i clean it with anything? we haven't put anything in ear for 5 days. thanks,XXXXX
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: best not to put any thing into the inner ear Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic If there is any discharge in the outer then you ear then you can remove it with clean cotton wool or a clean clothe, it is best however not to push any objects pass this point. This is not advised under any circumstances because of the risk of introducing an infection into the ear or perforating an ear drum but would be particularly inadvisable now with a history of infection there is an increase risk of causing damage because of inflammation. Normally, if the infection has resolved, there should not be an odour. It would actually be best to re visit his doctor for re assessment. He or she may then consider a swab of the ear to determine if there is a repeat infection or if the initial infection did not respond to the antibiotics. This can sometimes occur if the bacteria is resistant to the antibiotics used. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor