Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Is it normal to have prominent vein on the side of my penis?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9350 Questions
I am a healthy 29 year old male. I have never had intercourse but I do occasionally receive oral from my longtime girlfriend. Recently, I noticed a very hard, prominent "vein" running the circumference of my penis under my foreskin. I have never had this vein, or whatever it is, appear. It is very hard and does not seem to want to go back to normal even after I had relaxed and gone flaccid. Today, it has been present since I have woken up. Is this anything to worry about? It doesn't seem hurt unless I really mess with it but it's very present. Also, I don't know if it matters but in the sake of total medical history, I got my first flu shot recently. Pictures attached. Sorry for graphic nature.
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: This is normal and prominent veins are seen more or less in every man. It is actually good sign and indicates that there is sufficient blood flow in penis. Veins react with spreading depending on sexual activity,erection, environment temperature, emotions,stress and some other factors.There may be some small injury or pressure to this vein due to oral sex. In every case it will resolve on its own and you dont have to be worried about it unless there is inability to pass urine,pain,redness around it or erection problems. I dont see how flu shot can be related to all this. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it normal to have prominent vein on the side of my penis? 10 hours later
Thank you doctor. The vein feels hard and has a dull pain when I touch it. It has been this way all day. Is there anything to be concerned about or anything i can do to make it go down?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: It is not necessary to treat it because in most cases it resolves spontaneously. But you can apply some miled genitla steroid creams, have baths in warm salty water and warm up this area with few layers of underwear. If there is intesnive pain or it persists then you should do ultrasound to rule out venous opstruction. But this scenario is rare and I dont think this is your case.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor