Is it normal to have prolonged vaginal bleeding in a 11 year old girl?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: hi doctor ,
is it normal for a kid of 11 years to get menstruation (bleeding) for more than 1 months?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is normal to menstruate more than a month

Detailed Answer:

It is normal for the children to get bleeding more than a month after attaining menarche. Bleeding is initially excessive and prolonged. Later cycles after about 6 months generally regularise themselves.

If bleeding is very heavy you can get progesterone tablets prescribed which will help to stop bleeding.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 5 days later
thank you very much doctor for replying to me.

please advise what kind of food i should give her and the amount.
thank you
Answered by Dr. Soumya 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Normal food

Detailed Answer:

Give her normal food that you cook at home in normal quantity. Just avoid fat and sugar in excess.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Soumya

OBGYN