Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Is it normal to have pain during bowel movement 7 weeks post delivery ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12677 Questions
I recently had my baby about 7 weeks ago. I had regualr bowel movement until a week and a half ago. Now I get pain during bowel movemnt. It feels as if there is a tear or a tissue is stretched as the bowel movement occurs. Please advise what could have caused this and how can i get relief.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.
After delivery due to the stitches of the episiotomy wound there is some fibrosis and stretching of the perineal skin. If there is any constipation, due to the pressure on the perineum, a tearing sensation may be felt.
Another cause may be anal fissure: An anal fissure is a small tear in the skin at the opening of the rectum. It is caused when a large, hard stool is passed and excessively stretches the rectum. This problem can also occur in people whose anal sphincter tone (the muscle that controls the anal opening) is too tight and cannot relax to pass the stool.
An examination by a surgeon will confirm the diagnosis and accordingly the treatment can be prescribed.
Meanwhile drink plenty of water and avoid constipation.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it normal to have pain during bowel movement 7 weeks post delivery ? 3 hours later
Dear Doc,

Thank you for the expert advice. Can you make some additional recommendations for treating an anal fissure ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Warm sitz baths will be helpful.

A sitz bath is a type of bath in which only the hips and buttocks are soaked in water or saline solution.

You will need hemostatic agents to stop the bleeding- get them prescribed by your surgeon.

Local application of hydrocortisone zinc acetate and lignocaine ointment will be helpful.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor