Is it normal to have gas and diarrhea while on Amoxicillin?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Its my third day taking Amoxicillin 875mgpills + Clavulabic acid 125mg. I wake up with stomach pain and its gas and mild diarrhea. Is this normal? Also i have discharge from my penis & it still hurts when i pee.
Answered by Dr. Divakara 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gas and Mild diarrhea is normal.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Greetings from Dr.Divakara.P

It is normal to have gas and diarrhea while having Amoxicillin and Clavunate , there is nothing to worry as long as the diarrhea is mild .

But discharge from Penis and pain while passing urine is not normal. It seems like you are having Urethral Infection With or without Urine Infection. This requires treatment with another antibiotic.

I advise you to take Urethral swab Culture sensitivity and Urine Culture sensitivity test and revert back .

Till then drink plenty of water and eat more of citrus fruits.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask .

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Divakara 1 hour later
These are my lab results. The doctor told me the pain will fade soon
Answered by Dr. Divakara 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still get the test done.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Thanks for the report. Well the report suggests you are having Urine Infection but urine infection will not cause Urethral discharge.

Though the medications may be the same for both urine and Urethral infection but sometimes both require different medications.

I still advise you to get Urethral swab Culture sensitivity and Urine Culture sensitivity test as these test will help in determining what is the right antibiotic for you.

Any clarifications feel free to ask .

Regards.

Dr. Divakara