Is it normal to have eustachian tube dysfunction for 1

Dr. Rajat Basak

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: Is it normal to have eustachian tube dysfunction for 1 1/2 months? Is it likely to be chronic at this point
Answered by Dr. Rajat Basak 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hii. Hope you are doing well.

Detailed Answer:
Eustachian tube dysfunction more than 1.5 months may take more than 3 months to resolve depending on the nature and severity of problem. If you are having recurrent cold then dysfunction will be recurrent and intermittent. In that case you need to take some nasal spray and steam inhalation. If there is no allergic symptoms and you are still having eustachian tube dysfunction,then you undergo a nasal endoscopy to see your eustachian tube opening. If the endoscopy is normal then dysfunction will resolve on spray,steam inhalation and valsalva manouvre but it will take at least 3 months. You can take chewing gum during ascent and descent of flight to improve the dysfunction.
Please let me know if you have any queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana