Is it normal to have ear ache after wisdom tooth pulled out?

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Question: Good morning I had my bottom left wisdom tooth pulled out 5 days ago with local & my left ear is aching a little, I have been off my food. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Normal condition Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. Aching of your ear after extraction of your tooth is the normal and frequent condition because both have common nerve supply. This condition is known as the referred otalgia i.e. overlying disease not present in the ear. Avoid putting oil, ear bud and water in the ear. You may take simple pain killer for this. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad