Is it normal to have dull ear ache after wisdom tooth extraction?

Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi

Posted on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Question: Good morning I had my bottom left wisdom tooth pulled out under local anaesthetic 9 days ago and i have a dull ear ache. Is this normal? Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Tooth extraction & pain. Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXX, Thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum. After tooth extraction under local anesthesia dull pain in the ear is a common thing due to nerve supply. This is not a cause of concern. Take 1-2 tablet of tylenol and that's all. Good luck. Dr. HET
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 6 hours later
Many thanks I actually went back to the dentist today and told him about my dull ear ache, he had a look and said that is was healing nicely he said its not related to the gum at all. He said for me to get it checked out by the dr if it doesn't go away .
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tooth extraction. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Once again ,thanks for the query to H.C.M. Forum. This is actually a referral pain in the ear due to dental problem ( extraction ). Usually there develops edema and mild degree hematoma after tooth extraction and this is a very common practice. Once wound heal , you will feel better. No treatment for any ear pain , not a cause of concern. Hope this information will be helpful for you. Good luck. Dr. HET
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 9 minutes later
I also have tinitus in the left ear only. I had this prior to my wisdom tooth extraction. I suppose any little thing that occurs concerns me. I have had ringing checked out and a hearing test as well. All appears normal .
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tinnitus Detailed Answer: hi, XXXXXXX Thanks ,but need not to worry . Tooth extraction is a different entity ,but I assure you , your pain will subsides within next 4-5 days( total relief period 15-30 days after extraction). If tinnitus present before this extraction as you mentioned don't take pain killers . Rather take serratiopeptidase for soothing . Good luck. Free to ask any question in follow up. Dr.Het
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 14 hours later
The dull ear ache only started about 3 days ago. Is this still related to the toothe extraction? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Tooth extraction. Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX Thanks for calling. It means 6 days after tooth extraction pain started . I am not sure ,it is due to extraction or due to old ear problem ,because physical examination is important. Consult an E N T , if you have any doubt. Good luck. Dr. HET
Follow up: Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 3 hours later
Yes ache started on and off about 6 days after the tooth was extracted .
Brief Answer: take serratiopetidase Detailed Answer: Hello, XXXXXXX Thanks for visit to H.C.M. Forum. As I mentioned in earlier reply , you can take serratiopetidase 10 mg 1-1 for 5 days ,without any side effect. Edema will subside within this duration , so also pain. Good luck. Dr. HET