Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Is it normal to have bleeding with irregular periods problem?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
Hi, I am a 23 year old unmarried female,65kg,5'5",from India. I have had irregular periods perviously. Recently I have had bleeding for more than one month.(sometimes sporting and somtimes normal).i had got an ultra sound checkup, which showed that the "endimetrial thickness" is 14.9mm. I was advised by my gynaecologist to use "Pause MF" tablets for 1 week. The bleeding then stopped for the next one week. Then again the bleeding resumed with normal flow. On the 7th day of bleeding, got a scan again. It still shows that the endometrial thickness is 14mm. Have consulted the doctor, and she prescribed "Modus 10mg" tablets for 21days. And repeat the same dosage with an interval of 3months. is this a common problem,or is it a major disease. I am really worried, regarding my health. Please provide information on my condition. Also I want to know if this is curable. If yes please guide me. XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. According to your history and ultrasound scan, irregular bleeding is mostly related to Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB), where definite pelvic pathology is not found but marked endometrial hyperplasia is a prominent feature which leads to excessive bleeding. It occurs among 10% new patients attending the OPD. In this condition, anovular bleeding is usually excessive. In the absence of growth limiting progesterone due to ANOVULATION, the endometrial growth is under the influence of estrogen throughout the cycle. Here, some additional investigations like Biopsy following Hysteroscopy, Endmetrial smpling/ D & C may be required to exclude other pathology (if any) under the guidance of your doctor. TREATMENT: Medical management is the key element in this age group to correct hormonal imbalance and arrest bleeding or regularize monthly cycle. Medroxy Progesterone Acetate (like MODUS etc) group of drug is the first choice. It is given for continuous 21 days with 7 days interval for 3 months course. You need follow up examination periodically. Maintain genital hygiene properly and take IRON supplements regularly to combat deficiency or anemia. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it normal to have bleeding with irregular periods problem? 2 days later
Hi Dr. Soumen Patra, Thank you for your reply. Have started the dosage of MODUS tablets as recommended by you. The bleeding has reduced now. Have also consulted a gynecologist. Could you please answer my queries below, 1. What kind of diet should i take. 2. Could you please tell me any other symptoms that i can expect during such condition. 3. Will continuous usage of MODUS kind of tablet, have any side effect on me. 4. In cases such as mine, is the condition cured, i mean can i get normal again, or will it happen to me again. 5. Could you also tell me, if after 3 month of this medication if the problem persists, can i assume it as a danger sign. 6. I am an unmarried girl, my parents are concerned about my health after marriage, will this condition have an effect after marriage, like conceiving children etc. 7. And finally is it some kind of Cancer,Cyst or any XXXXXXX disease. I am really worried Doctor. Please give me more information. Thanks very much Doctor. Regards, XXXX.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for follow up queries. 1) You would take healthy protein rich diet with more green vegetables and IRON supplements. It will help to combat with Anemia (specially Iron Deficiency). Drink more water for better systemic circulation and to stay hydrated. 2) Irregular excessive bleeding or heavy period with thickened endometrium (in few percentage) is the main clinical symptom of DUB. However, bleeding disorder, gum bleeding or epistaxis, thyroid disturbance, PID (Pelvic Inflammatory Disease), Poly Cystic Ovary etc should be ruled out by necessary investigations. 3) With regular doses (5 to 20 mg daily), side effects of MODUS is quite tolerable and it depends on adjustment of external hormone inside body system. However, long term use of MODUS (Medroxyprogesterone) may cause some side effects like headache, abdominal pain, weight gain, backache, change in the appetite, fatigue, increase sex drive, prolonged absence of period etc. 4) DUB (Dysfunction Uterine Bleeding) occurs due to impairment of the HPO axis (Hypothalamus- Pituitary- Ovarian) without specific pelvic pathology. Stress, anxiety, emotional disturbances, sexual problem etc are the triggering agent for the same. Therefore, you should control them by regular yoga or meditation. Complete cure rate of DUB is very minimal. At this stage, medical treatment is the key protocol for DUB management. D & C can be done in few cases. Definite treatment is Total Hysterectomy after 40 years age with completed family. 5) DUB should be treated with Hormonal tab or Progesterone supplement (like MODUS) to arrest bleeding and regularize cycle. It is given for 3 months course initially. Then, follow up examination is required to determine whether you need further course of the treatment or not. It may recur or control by own following completed treatment. 6) Irregular bleeding with impairment of ovulation and pattern of endometrium may cause problem in natural conception (Infertility). However, supportive treatment like progesterone supplement, ovulation induction drug etc can facilitate your chance of successful conception. So, you wouldn't be worried about much. 7) Persistent endometrium hyperplasia is a risk factor for developing endometrial carcinoma after 40 years age. Periodic follow up examination is required to your GYNECOLOGIST for proper management. In addition to above, you should underg these tests to rule out other underlying causes. These include Complete Blood Count, PT/ aPTT, FSH, LFT, TSH, Prolactin level, DHEAS etc. Hope, I have answered your all queries. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor