Is it normal to have anxiety after root canal procedure?

Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Posted on Mon, 13 Apr 2015 in Dental Health
Question: Can a root canal cause anxiety. I've had a series of bad anxiety, nausea and malaise since I've had the root canal and have been tested for everything under the sun including an mri. Will removing the tooth help or is this damage that can't be reversed
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
root canal treatment, simple procedure,endodontist

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query.
As far as the root canal treatment is concerned, it is a simple procedure done under local anesthesia. This will not cause any anxiety or stress. The pulp removal is a part of root canal treatment procedure. In case of tooth infection, the pulp will be infected. So this has to be removed and has to be replaced with an organic material like gutta perchance. this procedure is not going to result in any anxiety or stress. So be bold and consult a good endodontist and get it treated.
I hope my answer will help you. If any queries are there reply me back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 10 hours later
I understand that routine dental procedure does not in fact cause larger issues such as anxiety, nausea etc.., However, as the onset of these issues started when I had the root canal and as I have previously stated, I have ruled out everything else including but not limited to, ears, eyes, blood, cat scan, mri, liver, kidney, and various other tests. I have come to the conclusion that what I am feeling started at the onset of the root canal, I have always contended this. I did have the root canal, I also was re-treated, and currently have nothing in the tooth so that it can heal before deciding what to do next, a quick search online has produced similar results as the ones I am having. In fact, the MRI showed a tiny speck close to the tooth, so I am certain that the next step is removing the tooth. The broader and more pressing question is, if there was nerve damage done during the root canal will this be alleviated by removing the tooth. That's my question.
Thank You, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
radiography,antiemetics/anti anxietydrugs,extractn

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feed back.
The root canal treatment might create anxiety and nausea secondary to instrumentation. But once the local anesthesia is administered, this problem will be solved. The other possible cause of nausea can be the drugs like antibiotics abs analgesics prescribed prior to RCT. Regarding the speck like structure appeared in MRI, the MRI will not show hard tissues, it's purely for soft tissue imaging. If the tooth is completely gone, then get it removed and go for implants or bridge. You can consult a good oral physician and get a radiograph done like RVG or OPG to confirm the diagnosis. Once the diagnosis is confirmed we can treat accordingly.
Kindly get a radiograph done and upload the images of the teeth and radiograph so that I can give exact diagnosis and treatment plan. As far as I am concerned, there is no nerve damage that can happen during the procedure that could result in the anxiety and so removal of the tooth too cannot alleviate the symptoms as they are not related to each other.
For the anxiety and nausea you can take anti anxiety drugs and anti emetics before dental procedures.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 15 minutes later
The tiny speck was likely due to the horrible headaches I am having due to the root canal which was done in December. I apologize for not clarifying that. I did not mean it was an object. Thank you for your response. I am going to have this tooth removed and at very least, have some relief from the headaches..
Kind Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
consult endodontist, medication, broken instrument

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feed back. As far as the speck is concerned, it can be a broken instrument which was left out during previous root canal treatment. The head ache can be a radiating pain from the improperly treated tooth with root canal treatment(secondary to infection in the same tooth). Before deciding to go for extraction, consult a good endodontist and take an opinion, if possible and tooth is in good condition(if sufficient tooth structure is left) root canal treatment can be repeated. If the tooth cannot be saved then get it removed. It is better to have to natural tooth than artificial. Mean while for the pain you can take an analgesic like diclofenac and antibiotics like amoxycillin and metronidazole combination(if you are not allergic).
I hope my answer will help you, take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj