Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Is it normal to have a painless small watery filled bulge on second toe ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 17 Questions
I have a small blister like watery filled bulge on my second toe thats been there for about 6 weeks, its not painful and may be going down slightly, what could this be, is it serious?

Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jayasukrutamma D N 21 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

As it is persisting beyond 6 Weeks, it may needs evaluation. But please go through the reply to decide for yourself.

Before giving my opinion, I would like to know few more details,

1. Onset, Duration, Progression - Onset - how did it start, all by itself? or got hurt? Duration - 6 weeks, Progression - has it been same? or did it become big? Did it start as patch and then become blister? Is there a pus pointing out?

2. Do you have conditions like diabetes, high blood pressures, or any other vascular problems that have caused blisters and ulcers in foot in the past?

3. Any rise in temperature around the blister, or redness of the skin or deepening or pus protruding out or expansion of the lesion needs immediate evaluation whether or not it is painful.

The above details will help me in formulating a better opinion with respect to the seriousness of the problem.

However since it is persisting since 6 weeks, I advice you to consider visiting your family doctor and seek his opinion.

Please do not try to burst open or put any irritant creams on the blister as the skin over the lesion usually will be very sensitive.

Anticipating your reply to help you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it normal to have a painless small watery filled bulge on second toe ? 3 hours later
Hi Dr Jayasukrutamma,

1). It started all by it self I think.

2). I might have high blood pressure but I can control it when necessary.

3). There is no pain, redness, puss or anything nasty around it, it feels quite numb and not looking angry.

Is it something nasty?

Answered by Dr. Jayasukrutamma D N 6 hours later

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Its a great relief to hear that you do not have any signs. Hence it might not be a serious problem.

So here are my suggestions:

1. Use a lubricant like petroleum jelly or lip balms over the area.

2. Use socks custom made for walking like synthetic fabric socks or coolmax fabric socks, double layered synthetic socks. Cotton socks wipe away moisture and cause irritation over the blister and make it rupture. So please do not use cotton socks when you have tendency to form blisters.

3. Blister block cushions and Cushlin blister pads can be used if you are getting recurrent blisters to prevent them. These are like Band Aids applied over the toes prone to blisters, so as to prevent them and to protect a skin that has blister.

You can wait for another 5 days or a week, If the blister shows signs of healing, you can wait and watch, if it does not show any signs of improvement or you find any of the changes discussed in my previous answer, please consult your physician.

Hope this helps you, Take care and Have a nice weekend.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor