Is it normal to find pus cell in urine?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: DOCTOR, MY NAME IS XXXXXXX. I HAVE SENT MY REPORTS AS ATTACHMENTS. CAN U PLEASE TELL ME WHETHER THE PUS CELLS IN URINE ROUTINE IS NORMAL AND THE NECESSARY MEDICINES I HAVE TO TAKE FOR THE SEMEN INFECTION. MY PUS CELLS IN URINE ROUTINE IS 4-5 HPF.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 52 minutes later

Thanks for your query. Based on the reports that you have posted, you seem to have
1) Oligoasthenospermia with gram negative infection - most probably of the Prostate (Prostatitis)
2) UTI).

The following additional investigation would be of much help to pinpoint the diagnosis,
1) Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen - to identify infection in the Bladder and Prostate.
2) Ultrasound scanning with Rectal Probe will help to know the status of the seminal Vesicle.

You semen analysis suggests Oligoasthenospermia. This is most likely to be due to active infection either in prostate or Seminal Vesicle. Start taking antibiotics as per culture report such as norfloxacin and Nitrofurantoin. Repeating semen analysis after 2 weeks following antibiotic usage would be useful.

Discuss with your current treating doctor about this line of treatment. You may start the same under his/her guidance.

Hopefully all your problems will be resolved with this treatment which can be confirmed by semen analysis
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I shall be pleased to help you.

Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
doctor, i already started norflox 400mg from today and i urilizer tonic with water. are they enough or i have to take even the other medicine( Nitrofurantoin) which you had told
Doctor, for how many days can i have to take norflox medicine and tell me if i have to take the additional medicine Nitrofurantoin
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later

You have already started taking Norflox 400 mg twice daily.
I have suggested to take Nitrifurantion along with Norflox on the basis that Nitrofurantoin is Microbial as well as Urinary antiseptic and combination of two drugs always give results faster. The drugs in combination yield better results. Discuss with your treating doctor.

You have to take these drugs minimum for 3 weeks and may need to be repeated for another 2 weeks depending upon the results of Semen Analysis and Routine Urine Test.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Doctor, i have to take Nifuran 100mg or 50mg. I have to take it once or twice daily.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 24 minutes later

Nitrofurantoin is usually given in the dose of 100mg twice a day. However this is a prescription only medication and has to be given under supervision of a doctor nearby. Therefore I urge you to visit your doctor and take a prescription from him.

Dr,Patil