Is it normal for infants to have frequent bowel movements?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My son is 11 months old. Daily He is doing 5 times potty from 5 months. He is active. Is anything to worry? Please suggest. - XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should see doctor.

Detailed Answer:

Frequency of five times a day seems high.

Few things that need to be considered in case of your son are irritable bowel,lactose intolerance, food allergies or even intestinal congenital malformations.

In most cases it is diet related.But doctor will have to take in consideration his history in detail and may want to get few investigations done to evaluate his intestine.

In first visit doctor is likely to give some medications and make dietary changes to see if that helps.If still symptoms continue , then investigations would be needed to determine underlying cause.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.