Is it normal for a 4 month child to pass watery stools?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: Hello doctor . my son aged 4 months passing watery motions since 10 days. we are giving him zinc20 as suggested by doctor from your pannel. 1 week before we get his stool test which was normal. his activity and mother feed is as usual. please suggest if its part of recovery process. attaching his stool pics for reference.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The stools are normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

The stools color and consistency looks normal and are typical of milk stools. There is absolutely no cause of concern. Baby accepting feeds well, sleeps well after feeds and urine output is adequate is very reassuring.
Continue giving exclusive breast feeding till 6 months of age.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 12 minutes later
thanks doc... he is passing stools since 10 days... please suggest whats general recovery time...
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The color and consistency are normal. Also do note that many babies pass stools after every feeds. It is due to hyperactive Gastrocolic reflex. There is bowel movement after every feed.
If the urine output is adequate, no rash and weight gain is okay then there is no cause for concern.

Best regards
Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 27 minutes later
but it started 10 days before only.... and should we continue with zinc 20
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Zinc can be discontinued

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

There is no need of continuing Zinc. Exclusive breast feeding is all that is required
So do not worry about stool frequency in the absence of other symptoms.

Best regards
Deepak