Is it necessary to test HIV before cesarean delivery?

Dr. Prasanna Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Is it necessary to test HIV before the sigerian delivery Operation in XXXXXXX ??? Is every pregnant woman is tested for HIV in XXXXXXX ??? What are the routine tests done before any sigerian delivery Operation in XXXXXXX ??? I have seen that one of my friend tested for HIV along with the routine tests before his appendicitis operation. Is HIV tested before any sigerian delivery Operation too ???
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV test is routinely done prior to caesarean operation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can understand your concerns.

Yes, HIV test is now done routinely prior to all surgical procedures including caesarean operation in XXXXXXX

In many centers it has become a mandatory screening test.

But as far as pregnant women are concerned, HIV can be an opt-out test.

Women who do not wish to take the test can opt out of it.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 12 minutes later
Can HIV be infected through some drop of bloods which is fell in the floor or on the table of a laboratory if it came into contact with my blood/ inner part of penis ??? Please help me...
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Risk of exposure may be high?.Need screening tests to rule out

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

Yes, certainly this description of yours carry high risk.

The risk of transfer is greatest if the infected blood comes in contact with any mucosal areas.

It is always best to get screened in such cases of accidental exposure.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 22 hours later
madam, before some days I had gone to a pathological laboratory for semen analysis test. The administrator provided an empty room(where a laboratory technician was testing something and she was asked by the administrator to vacate the room so that I can masturbate and the semen can be collected). During my masturbation my pant and the bottle (which was given by the laboratory for semen collection) fell on the floor of that room just before ejaculation and I suddenly took those and put the semen in the bottle(during this process the bottle touched my penis). I afraid that if some blood(of any other person) or semen(from other person) fell on that floor before me and it touched the bottle or my pant. Is there any chance of HIV infection by this way if that blood or semen is infected by HIV ??? please help me. As far as I remember there was no visible blood on the floor but I am not sure...
Answered by Dr. Prasanna Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Such a transmission practically do not exist

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Sir.

I can understand your concern.

The possibility of HIV transmission under the circumstances mentioned are extremely rare and practically does not exist.

You need not worry about it.

Even the concerned seminal specimen room will be thoroughly cleaned with antiseptics.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.