Is it necessary to take HIV test within window period?
Also if the person was taking quite a few vitamins and supplements would that take the persons body longer to build up the antibody for HIV ( and thats why it would take some people longer for their test show up positive on their test?)
Tests are avialble for early detection of HIV.Vitamins will not affect resu
Welcome to HCM.
Thanks for posting your query.
Two types of tests are avilable in the laboratories.
1.Antigen detecting tests: P24 antigentest, PCR TEST (QUALITATIVE RNA,DNA).
These tsets are sensitive as early as 1 week after the exposure anf confirmatory by 4 weeks. Available with bigger labs and little costlier.
2. Antibody detection tests: Rapid test, Western blot test, ELISA. These tests become conclusive by 12 weeks after the exposure.
4th generation test includes both detection of antigen and antibodies. Antigen part is conclusive by 4 weeks and after 12 weeks it is more conclusive as it detects both antigen and antibodies.
All these tests are more than 97% reliable. PCR test and 4th generation tests are reliable upto 99%.
Taking vitamins and supliments in no way affect the outcome of the result or delay the appearance of antibodies.
If anybody is on Immuno-suppressive drugs like steroids, the delay in antibody formation is inevitable.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Percentage of accuracy in hiv tests by time period
- Is hiv test necessary before piles and fissure operation
- Negative hiv test what is window period
- What is the window period for hiv test
- Hiv tests hiv oncoprobe accuracy
- Will taking marijuana effect in hiv testing
- What is the true window period for hiv test
- Had unprotected sex got flu hiv tests negative window period
- Hiv tests shortest window period
- I take an hiv test and vdrl test