Is it necessary to stop Thyroxine for low TSH levels?
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I read carefully your query.
Since your doctor suggested to stop the medication for 2 months ,it means that the level of thyroid hormones is higher than normal.This causes the TSH to be very low.
Let me explain what is TSH.
TSH is a hormone produced by pituitary gland in brain ,that controls the production of thyroid hormones.So when the level of thyroid hormones( T3,T4) in blood is low, this stimulates the production of TSH ,which acts by stimulating thyroid to produce more hormones.Its role is like a messenger.
When the level of thyroid hormones in blood is very high ,the level of TSH will be very low.
TSH level is used as a test to evaluate thyroid function and the effect of the medication ,so probably in your case it was very low and thyroid gland function is low too (because it is not stimulated by TSH to produce more hormones).
I really hope it is clear for you.
Feel free to ask for any clarification you may need.I would be happy to help.
I really apologize for the delay in answering you.
After radiation of thyroid gland ,a part of thyroid tissue has been destroyed.You can have different results after such treatment and one of them is hypothyroidism (when the function of thyroid gland is suppressed more than necessary).
Right now ,you have a high level of thyroid hormones in blood ,that would return to normal after stopping Levothyroxine.After that your doctor may considering lowering the dose of Levothyroxine to keep thyroid hormones in normal range.
This means that the dose of Levothyroxine you have been taking was too much for you and you need a lower dose.
The level of your thyroid hormones may come back to normal after some time but you need to get tests done in regular intervals and the treatment (lowering or increasing the dose) will depend from the results of these tests.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Low tsh on thyroxine
- Have diarrhea what is the level of hemoglobin thyroxine tsh
- Should i start thyroxin for tsh level of 47
- Hypothyroidism on thyroxine tsh normal go ahead with ivf
- Thyroxine blood sugar levels low
- Low thyroxine levels
- High tsh on thyroxine
- High thyroxine low tsh
- Can l-thyroxine control 505 tsh level
- Low tsh normal thyroxine
- Does Methamphetamine show up in hair drug test?
- Is medication required for cholesterol level of 5.1?
- Is frequent urination a symptom of heart attack?
- Suggest treatment for redness ad burning sensation of scrotal area
- What causes dizziness and nausea?
- What causes swelling on penis foreskin?
- Suggest remedy to loose belly fat and stretch marks
- What causes hard lymph node under right jaw?
- What causes painful bulge on penis post intercourse?
- What causes difficulty in climbing stairs and leg weakness?