Is it necessary to keep BP under control?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: How can I adjust or balance my blood pressure (B/P) to 120-125/80? I am taking herbal supplements like magnesium, SOD, Hawthorn, Cinnamon, and flaxseed.
I take my blood pressure daily and ranges from 125-130/ 55-65
I am also taking prescription: Carvedilol,1.6mg and simavastin 10mg.
I believe the bottom number is what is sometimes making me tired as it is to low.
It is necessary to keep the BP normal to negate calcium build up on the Aortic Valve which is being monitored, so far so good without any symptoms.
Please advise, thank you
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are doing an excellent Job.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have carefully read your query and i understand your concern,

I really appreciate your scientific approach to monitor your blood pressure,
Yes sir it is absolutely necessary to maintain our blood pressure within the normal range as it prevents any further cardiovascular complications by preventing the calcium build up.

In addition you are on drug simvastatin which can lower cholesterols as well,
you need not be over concerned of the lower range values as they are close to the normal range of 60-90 mm of Hg.

Following measures help to maintain blood pressure within normal limits.

1.Consult doctor only when the upper measurement is over 140 mm of Hg.
2.Regular brisk walk of 20 min is suggested.
3.Maintain BODY MASS INDEX to less than 21.5.
4.Consume low sodium foods like spinach,oats,pomogranate,garlic,avacado.
5.Keep the total sodium intake to less than 6 mg a day which equals to one tea spoon.
6.Maintain adequate nutrition by drinking 3-4 liters of water everyday.
7.Avoid smoking and alcohol
8.Keep total fat intake to less than 20% of your total calories.
9.Include more herbs and fruits in your diet,which you are already practicing.

I hope and wish my feedback is useful and convincing to you,
In case of any doubts please post follow up queries.
Kindly rate my answers as a means of providing your valuable feedback,as this helps to improve my presentation,
Thank you,
Wish you good health,
Dr.Suresh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad