question-icon

Is it necessary to have an exterminator treat indoors of our house for black widow spider bites?

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015
Question: Goodmorning,
My tenant just showed me his arm. He has a nickle sized blistered area on his forearm surround by an encircled reddened are 3" across that the ER doc said is either a Black Widow, or Brown Recluse spider bite. They are treating him with antibiotics for MRSA (?), and he will see his family dr. in two hours.
My question is, "Do we need to have an exterminator treat the indoors or outdoors areas of our house?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
You should

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your query.

Black widow spider will produce a very painful lump. Brown recluse spider will cause skin necrosis. Your tenants swelling looks like brown recluse spider bite and is more dangerous.

To be on safer side, an exterminator should be employed. In both cases it is justified.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Vaishalee Punj