Is it necessary to have Tetanus shot for finger cut inspite of having vaccination 5 years ago?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: My son cut his finger on a rusty lid last night at work. His immunizations are current....including a tdap five years ago. Does he need another tetanus shot?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably well protected; but extra shot won't hurt don't you think?

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. You have a very good question and it is always better to clarify such things before assuming. The tap vaccine is given once in a lifetime, but the booster shots should be administered one every 10 years.

As your son has taken the trap vaccine only 5 years ago he should be well protected from tetanus in this case. But in case of severe cuts or very deep cuts we do recommend an extra shot at the hospital, which will not hurt or will not cause any harm what so ever. It is always better to be safe than sorry, don't you think?

I usually recommend a shot to my patients when the contact with dirt or rusted particles was quite large or a deep cut, and so just for our satisfaction he could get another shot. But he is most likely protected from tetanus thanks to the shot taken 5 years ago.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan