Is it necessary to cover one's body and ears postpartum?

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Thu, 26 Jul 2018 in Ayurveda
Question: I delivered baby 39 back via C-section....All elders tell me to cover body and ears with sweater, socks so that body is hot
They tell if I won't do this now then I will face problem in later years of my life... is this true or just a myth??

What diet I need to follow... do I need to have ghee or food which are hot in nature ???

I'm confused please suggest me
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
further necessary information.

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting the Ayurveda section of [A]YUSH and after reviewing your history, I'm of the following opinion:

i. In females it could be hormonal readjustment after C-section which causes alternate chills and hot flushes, causing the body to readjust itself postpartum whereas in baby since temperature regulating center [hypothalamus] is not fully developed thus exposing to the cold environment could result in problems.

PS. Prevention is better than cure so one can take slight efforts for the newborn baby

ii. regarding Diet, as the baby is breastfeeding, do discuss with a certified Nutritionist or an experienced OB/GYN Doctor for other Supplements which are essential during this period

iii. It is best to eat a variety of different foods every day to get right balance of nutrients required for mother and baby such as vitamins and minerals [eat plenty of fruits and vegetables which helps digestion and provides fibre which prevents constipation] but extra supplements have to be taken [iron /calcium from yogurt-cheese-milk-spinach-carrots-beetroot-dates or taking Tablet prescribed by Attending Physician]

iv. Prefer starchy food which is satisfying without containing too many calories like potato, cereals, rice, bread, cornmeal, oats, sweet potato, maize.

PS. Avoid high calories food: [sugar/soft drinks/fat] which can contribute to weight gain and tooth decay

v. Take Shatavari granules [Sandu phamacy] and Dashmoolarishta: which are prescribed post delivery to the mother since it is the best female TONIC (supports and provide nutrition to the uterus) and act as an IMMUNOMODULATOR (helps in increasing Immunity).

PS. Taking too much of hot food/items can contribute to heartburn and flatulence both in mother & baby [through breast milk].

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant Physician
Naimittika

direct online link: bit.ly/drmunishsood
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 2 days later
Thanks for answer... i has c- section delivery.. many suggest not to hav Dal, potato, peas, udad Dal since it hinders healing process... is this true... is it ok to have??
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
further suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for reverting back.

1. As far as I know there are no documented or known adverse effects of the said ingredients (stated by you), however you can consult a dietitian for their health benefits and side effects (if any).

2. I uually advise my patient(s) to eat heartily since only few foods interact with wound healing and blood formation, like:

Avoid: nitrate rich foods (hot dogs), spices like turmeric and ginger, along with sugar, margarine and skimmed milk.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika