Is it mandatory to have stitches when pressure comes on the part of delivery point?

Dr. Bhagyashree.B

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Doctor, History: TWINS and 5th month of pregancy Is that mandatory to have stiches when pressure comes on the part of delivery point. [I meant to say the out way for baby ] And generally when this is advised and in which month? Also can you plz mention the PROS and CONs over the stiches required? Do pregnent women needs BED rest after stiches? or tell us what limitations will be there on daily rouitines? What exersise and diet is advisable to avoid the stiches before pregnency. Thanks, XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bhagyashree.B 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Stitch helps if short cervix Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX, Thanks for writing to healthcare magic. I think you mean a stitch to hold the baby in the uterus. Twin pregnancy may lead to short cervix. If the length of cervix on 5 th month scan is less than 2.5 cm then she may need cervical encerclage which is commonly called cervical stich. This is usually applied to prevent early labour pain. After the stitch strict bed rest is recommended. Also medications to relax uterus also given. Sex should be avoided.daily activities are restricted a lot Stitch removed at 8 and half months. If the ultrasound report shows short cervix then your doctor may recommend the stitch now in 5-6 months. There is no diet to avoid cervical stitch. Writer back if more queries. Thanks Dr Bhagyashree
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj