Is it compulsory that a wife will have HIV infection if her husband is HIV positive?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: hi doctor
if a husband has hiv is this compulsory that the wife should also have the same disesase

My sister is not living with his husband for past 1.5 years but recently i came to know that the b0y has being decuted hiv positive so whether she will be also having th
e same disese
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible to remain HIV free. Serodiscordant couple

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

How long your sister lived with him. Have you any idea that whether her husband had the disease when she was with him.
There are people not got infected ( nearly 30-40%) with HIV in spite of living with their HIV positive spouses for years together. When they found positive for the first time, already would have lived with their spouses for years together without infecting them. They are called as Sero-discordant couple. There are many explanations for that. So there is every possibility that your sister remains HIV free. Get her checked with HIV blood test. If she is positive also there are good treatment available and they can live comfortably with medicine not less than 30 years.
Good luck to your sister.
DR S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 21 hours later
Sir

As per your advise i took my sister for lab and they tested with ELISA TEST and found to be negative .... and one value was shown on the the report as 0.02 what is it mean
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't bother about value. your sister is HIV free

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Every test had a cut of value marked by the manufacturers. Beyond this cut of value only the test is considered to be positive or reactive. Anything below this value it is considered to negative or non-reactive.
You need not bother about this value of 0.02. It has no meaning for you. Your sister is ultimately negative for HIV and she is free from HIV.
Dr S.Murugan