Is it common to have mammography showing a thick walled collection post surgery for breast cancer?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 25 Jul 2018 in Lump
Question: One of my relative was diagnosed with T2N0M0 breast carcinoma exactly a year back and operated in XXXXXXX 2017. 3cm, ER+, PR+, HER2--. Quadrantectomy done with axillary dissection. TC*4 chemo given with 21 days radiation. Chemo completed on 27th March, 2017. Radiation completed on 26th May, 2017. Currently on Femara.

We did her first mammography after surgery and report is good but it says thick walled collection likely post operative.
Questions:
1. Is this common after 1 year of breast surgery?
2. She still complains pain in her breast, is this could be because of this fluid collection?
3. Do we need to remove this collection?

Please help us with your thoughts. Report attached for reference.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history about your relative and understood the concerns.
Read the reports too.
To answer your queries:
> This is not common after one year of surgery, but then there is a history of radiotherapy also. The collection in right operated breast is thick walled indicating this being present for a long time that is it is not of recent origin.
Since there is no evidence of recurrence, diagnostic aspiration and analysis of the fluid would give some idea about the possible cause and also help plan the further management as to wait and watch or remove both the lesion on right side.
The left axilla is showing benign nature with preserved central hilum mkay need an FNAC that is fine needle aspiration cytology to start with.
> May be, yes.
> As discussed above.

I hope this answers your queries.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.