Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Is it better to go for stitching & keep wound closed after tooth surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 700 Questions
Sir, My younger sister aged about 28 yrs having a cyst(probably dentigerous cyst) in left lower jaw just beneath the 3rd molar/wisdom tooth and that has changed the position of her wisdom tooth diagonally and preventing it to come up. It has been detected 3 yrs back incidentally while doing a XRAY for bracing of her teeth. Just around 15 days back she suddenly developed pain in the place of her wisdom tooth. We consulted local dentist who gave antibiotics and medicine for pain which did not give any relief. Doctor then, asked to consult dental surgeon. Dental surgeon suggested to operate the same immediately. Presently it bleeds & puss is coming after getting up in the morning. My query is regarding post operative care of this operation as doctor advising to keep the place open & put gauge on the place which have to be changed on an regular interval. His view is that gum will be automatically grown but other doctor is in favour of stitching the place. It has created a confusion so I am writing this letter for your clarification. We will act according to your clarification. -XXXX ( YYYY@YYYY )
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Its better to go for stitching & keep wound closed Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in. In my opinion in case of dentigerous cyst, its better to go for enucleation followed by proper dressing & suturing of wound. In case you don't go for stitches, there would be food lodgement & even lack of proper clotting which may lead to delayed healing. Its better to go keep the wound closed after operating.You need to take more precautions after operation. Do warm saline rinses. Maintain proper oral hygiene. Do betadine gargles. Complete your course of medicines at proper timing. Visit your dentist for follow up. Its better to consult oral & maxillofacial surgeon & get it operated as early as possible. Currently continue with your medicines for pain & pus discharge. Hope I answered your query Wishing you good health Regards Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor