Is it advisable to use both Pristiq and Wellbutrin for depression?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Why would doctor put me on both pristiq and Wellbutrin. Been taking pristiq for a year now
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Was Pristiq not working adequately?

Detailed Answer:
Pristiq and Wellbutrin are both antidepressants but from different families of antidepressants and work in slightly different ways.

Sometimes a physician (usually a psychiatrist) will add on another antidepressant if the first one isn't working adequately. Or to address other symptoms. Wellbutrin (bupropion) has particular benefits for helping when there is weight gain or dealing with craving and addictive symptoms, such as for trying to quit smoking cigarettes. But your doc may have just wanted to add on an additional med if the 1st isn't working.

Sometimes physicians will add on an antidepressant augmenter such as Abilify, which is in an entirely different class of medications (not an antidepressant but may make the antidepressant work better).

These are some reasons your doctor may have added the Wellbutrin, but the only way to know for sure is to ask him or her.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if I an provide additional information or clarification.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh