Is it advisable to take Mucinex when suffering from thyroid disease?
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
It is true that Mucinex D should be taken with caution in people with thyroid disorders like hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism that is being treated with Levothyroxine (Synthroid).
This because Mucinex D or Mucinex " Fast XXXXXXX " contain a combination of drugs including pseudoephedrine ,a decongestant.
Taking together Synthroid and Pseudoephedrine can increase the risk of cardiovascular side effects such as high blood pressure, palpitation, chest pain, and irregular heart beat.
Your wife can take safely Mucinex but plain Mucinex ,which contains only guaifenesin, an expectorant that works by thinning mucus in the lungs and making it less sticky and easier to cough up. This will reduce chest congestion.
Hope it helps.
Let me know if you have any question or need any clarification.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can you take creatine with thyroid disease
- Low platelets thyroid disease
- Extrasystole and thyroid disease
- Pistachio and thyroid disease
- Thyroid disease hashimotos thyroiditis
- Gilberts syndrome and thyroid disease
- Thyroid disease thc
- Taking alprazolam with thyroid disease
- Thyroid disease can you take oxyelite pro
- Thyroid disease take collagen