question-icon

Is it advisable to start solid food for an infant of 6 months?

Posted on Mon, 18 May 2015
Question: Should i be starting solid food with my 6 month old if he still has some trouble holding head on his own?

Answered by Dr. Arun (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
you can start no problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Six months is the ideal time for starting weaning foods.
I usually recommend boiled vegetables and fruits like boiled apple as the first weaning food.
You can also start cereals and pulses like cerelac or rice gruel once or twice a day.
Don't delay starting weaning foods for head control.
You need to give him nutrition as breastfeeding alone cannot meet his demands after 6 months.
Continue breastfeeding along with solids. Worldwide it is recommended to breastfeed upto 2 years but slowly decrease breastfeeding frequency and increase solid frequency.
Example: 6 to 8 months Two semi solid feeds per day
8 to 10 months 4 semi solid feeds per day.
After that 6 solid feeds per day.
Wishing your child good health.
Dr Arun
Follow up: Dr. Arun (7 hours later)
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Arun (35 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
welcome

Detailed Answer:
Welcome
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology