Is it advisable to repair a damaged mitral valve?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Valvular Heart Disease
Question: my mother has suffering from Mitral valve problem.she is 71 yrs old.can artribal valve rapairable in this age.the valve size become less.
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
If the mitral valve stenosis is not very severe then repair can be done

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to HCM.
I am Dr. Riyanka Chail glad to be answering your query.

Since your mother is an elderly individual, most cardiothoracic surgeons prefer to repair a damaged mitral valve for mitral valve stenosis rather than replacing it with artificial valve.

Over the years medical treatment options have drastically advanced.
The surgery may be open heart type or a minimally invasive type depending on the grade of stenosis.

Though such surgeries have higher risks and complications in elderly patients, the number of complications have reduced to a greater extent over the years due to advanced medical aids.

Regarding valve repair , yes it can be repaired at this age but keeping into mind the various pros and cons. Kindly consult a cardiothoracic surgeon for the option of repair or replacement as the treatment depends on the amount of damage of the mitral valve and whether it is in a condition to be repaired.

Also various blood tests - renal function, liver function tests, ECG have to be done to evaluate the various functions of the body before declaring her fit for surgery.

Hope this answers your query .
Take Care.
Get well soon.
Dr.Riyanka
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Riyanka Chail 54 minutes later
what is the actual size of valve?When can i take decision for the surgery,i.e. at which size.
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly read the detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing back to us at HCM.

Considering Echocardiography reports Mitral stenosis can be classified as follows (depending on mitral valve surface area):
1. Mild stenosis - >1.5 cm sq.
2. Moderate stenosis- 1.0-1.5 cm sq.     
3. Severe stenosis - <1.0 cm sq.

In mild stenosis and moderate stenosis with no symptoms medical line of treatment is opted like- antihypertensives , diuretics , anticoagulants to prevent further amage to the heart.

If there are signs of congestive heart failure or there is severe stenosis then surgery is a good option provided the person is fit for surgery. Some non surgical procedures like balloon valvuloplasty may also be helpful depending on the decision of the cardiothoracic surgeon.

Hope this answers your Query.
Do write back if there are any more doubts.

Dr.Riyanka Chail

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Riyanka Chail 10 hours later
what happens when the mitral valve totally closed?can it is a risk of Heart attack?
Answered by Dr. Riyanka Chail 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes there can be a risk of heart attack in untreated severe mitral stenosis

Detailed Answer:

In severe cases of mitral stenosis it can cause complications like:

1. Increase in pulmonary artery pressure causing a condition known as pulmonary oedema(accumalation of fluids in lungs) that can cause severe breathlessness.
2. There can be an increase in the size of Left Atrium.
3. Due to decreased blood flow, it could cause heart failure.
4. Formation of blood clots in major blood vessels.

Hence it is important to treat a patient with mitral stenosis.

Hope this answers your Query.

Dr.Riyanka Chail
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Riyanka Chail