Is it advisable to discontinue BP medication?

Posted on Wed, 16 Sep 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: good morning, I have been on lisinopril 20mg for about 2 weeks, before that ramipril 10 mg for several years. I just found out that my doctor quit practice and think that i would like to get off the medicine all together. I have 9 lisinopril pills left and feel I can use these as i discontinue the medicine on a gradual basis. i have to go out of town for work for the next three weeks and can't find another doctor before that.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is never right to discontinue your high blood medications!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I understand you have difficulties with getting your doctor refill your medications. Though he is no longer practicing, I will not advise that you get off your medications. At worse, get another prescription and continue with until you find a new doctor. High blood medications should be taken for life and there is no reason unless otherwise stated to stop them.

On another note, discontinuing lisinopril needs no special attention. Allow it to get finished and that will be all. However, I will not recommend you stay off your drugs for any reasons.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
I think this is a very safe answer on your part, I really don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life and am working in diet and exercise to fix the problem. I have read that people slowly take themselves off of prescription drugs by cutting their medication gradually or going to something over the counter. Have you any suggestions.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:

What are your most recent blood pressure values? I know no one really loves drugs all their lives but we only do this when it is the best available option. If you could guarantee normal values without being on drugs, I will be the first to advise that you keep up. Should you filly stay off this drug, I will encourage you o monitor your blood pressure regularly and report to me for assessment and advice.

Drugs that are gradually withdrawn are those that can cause dependence and lead to serious withdrawal side effects. This is not the case with lisinopril and that is why no special measures are needed. There is also no need for any over the counter medications for this.

Let me know what you take is and whether there is something more you will like us to talk about at this time.

Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 11 minutes later
Thank you for your help, I will get back to you with pressure reading in the near future and we can further discuss the situation. Its good to know that lisinopril has no withdrawal side effects. Take care and have a good day.

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You too!

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your kind words. I look forward to communicating more about your blood pressure readings. Until then, I wish you well.

Sincerely,
Dr. Ivo Ditah