Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Is it abnormal to have blood flow around clitoris during menses?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
is it abnormal for menses to flow around clitoris. I feel it gushing out
this has been happening the past few months. I am still having my normal, heavy, regular periods. At times there are clots as well
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

It is quite common phenomena in some women and also in your case due to heavy period and hypertension. Here, excessive vaginal bleeding may flow around clitoris.

Also, you should know certain things regarding heavy period including clots in this age group. The possible reasons should be ruled out in this context. These are as follows:
1) Uterine fibroid or polyp (may be cervical)
2) Endometrial atrophy or hyperplasia
3) Others- adenomyosis, certain medication etc.

Complete physical examination including pelvic/ speculum/ colposcopic examination is needed to rule out underlying pathology.

Possibilities can be narrowed by several investigations like blood test for thyroid profile & clotting factor abnormality, Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS) scan, Pap smear test to detect cancerous changes and endometrial biopsy (may be needed).

So, please consult with your gynecologist who can help you regarding this and give suggestive measures.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor