Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Is it a thyroid problem if my daughter is slow and irritable?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 19 Questions
Case Background
Need some help for my daughter. She is 6.5 years old. She shows the following symptoms.
In the morning when she gets up her eyes are droopy for about 30 odd minutes.
She is very irritable in behaviour and is unable to sit in one place except when she watches TV.
Her social behavior skills are limited; in the sense that she is unable to make friends within her age group.
She has got very good grades in her class last year (A+)
Teachers have complained about her not being able to sit in one placethru her last acamedic year.
She is generally slow in all the activities
She sweats a lot.
Her dentist suspects thyroid problem. But her regular doctor does not. What Do I do.

When I consulted thru this site; doctor suggested the following tests. T3, T4, TSH. The results have now come.
Test Results
They are as follows
T3 (Triiodothyronine) .
The observed value is 134.8 ng/dl
Reference range given is
1-3 years 138-217
and 146-219 for 12 years.

T4 (Thyroxine).
The observed value is 8.0 ug/dl.
Reference range given is
6.5 13.3 for 1-3 years and
6.5 - 9.0 for 12 years

TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone).
The observed value is 2.12 ulU/ml.
Reference range given is
0.61-2.2 for 1-3 years
1.06-4.2 for 12 years

The Query
Please advise as to how and in which direction do I proceed.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. P.V Pradeep 1 hour later

The suspicion about Thyroid issues are ruled out with these tests.

Your child next needs an evaluation by the neurologist, especially a Pediatric Neurologist.

You may visit Dr. XXXXXXX Udani at P. D. Hinduja Hospital, Mumbai. From here nothing can be said without proper examination by Pediatric Neurologist.

Warm regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor