Is it a health concern to have a pulsatile rhythmic sound in the right ear which elevates on lying on the right side without any clinical history of high BP?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am a 55 years old woman. I have no history of high blood pressure .
A pulsatile rhythmic " whooshing " sound in step with my heartbeat in my right ear when lying down increasing when lying on the right side- since this morning, with the heartbeat. When sitting up it stops.
Could this be a serious concern, and what investigations should be done?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus

Detailed Answer:

From the complaints, it seems to be tinnitus. As the character of tinnitus changes with head position, it can be due to some middle ear disease.
My advice is you should get yourself examined by an ENT specialist and get pure tone audiometry done and impedance audiometry done. If there is some finding on otoscopy than a MRI might be required.
Take tablet Cinnarizine.
Avoid any loud noise exposure.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available only on prescription
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal,
ENT Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Thank you doctor.
My concern is also that the ear sound comes with my pulse- it sounds like rushing blood in the ear or nearby head area, but with a "wind" sound with it. When the pressure in my head is greater, such as straining on the toilet or lying down vs. standing it returns . If I move fast even if standing it is worse. The wind/ blood rushing sound prevents sleep coming easily. The symptoms started suddenly, yesterday.
Could this be an aneurysm, and is it urgent requiring an ER visit, or could it wait for a local referral in a couple of weeks?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 37 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the information.
A sudden appearance of symptoms is more likely due to eustachian tube blockage but it would be better to get examined yourself by an ENT specialist.
Please tell me do you have any history of nasal blockage or congestion or throat infection in the recent past?
Start with the medicines as advised.
Thanks and regards
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal, ENT Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 days later
Hello Doctor,

Thank you for your response.

I don't have any history of recent nasal blockage, nor throat infection- only a slightly blocked ear on the other side recently. This was a few days before the pulsatile sounds started on the right side.
I have started the medication, and the noise in my ear has mostly subsided.
There have been sounds ( more like a tone, non pulsatile in the right ear lasting 30 seconds at a time, not rhythmic) and not frequent since the last time i wrote.

Thank you, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 29 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
Continue with the medicines. You will definitely be benefited but it is advisable to get your ears examined by an Ent specialist.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal, ENT Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng