Is irregular periods and spotting common after Copper-T insertion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hello Doctor,

I noticed irregular pattern in menstraul periods after Copper-T insertion which was done on 18-May-2014.

Recent occurence: I had period on 6-July-2014 and again period returned today i.e.18-July-2014 (i.e. with in a gap of 12 days).

Going back to history:
Delivered Baby on 30-Sep-2013
Depo Provera given on 06-Jan-2014

There was a spotting for nearly one month after Cu-T insertion.

Is the pattern I am seeing after Cu-T insertion i.e. with the recent experience being 2 periods with in 12 days common?

If it is common, then how long it might take so that I see a normal pattern again.

Please advise.

Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
COMMON ADVERSE EFFECT FOR INITIAL 3-6 MONTHS.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

According to your information, it is mostly suggestive of ADVERSE EFFECT of Copper-T insertion. Irregular bleeding or spotting is QUITE common for initial few months and seen among some percentage women.

It is observed that for the first 3 to 6 months after insertion, the copper IUD can cause irregular periods and spotting between periods. You should maintain your genital hygiene properly.

Another thing, you can use Levonorgestrel (Progesterone) releasing Intrauterine System like MIRENA to get rid off this type of problem. It is more effective than Copper-IUD. Kindly, consult with your doctor regarding this.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326