question-icon

Is irregular menstrual cycle normal after an abortion?

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016
Question: Hello

I had a missed abortion last month around 6th July I only bleed heavy for 1 day then for the next 9 dayz only spot when I will get my date this month?

my periods r irregular I was taking dhuphaston should i again start dhuphaston for 5 dayz?
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown (29 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You need to discuss this with your fertility specialist

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today. I have reviewed your previous questions related to this situation in order to give you the most accurate information.

Normally, after you have had a miscarriage, your next menstrual cycle should begin about 4-5 weeks after your pregnancy hormone level has gone down to zero.

From reviewing your history, if it has only been about 4 weeks since you lost the pregnancy, you may just need more time until your natural cycle resumes.

Normally, you would take Duphaston to make your period come to prepare for another IUI. But at this time, I would recommend waiting, and if in 2 months when you plan to do IUI again you have not yet gotten a period, then I would verify with your fertility doctor when to begin the Duphaston. But you should not start taking the medicine again before checking with your fertility doctor.

I hope I was able to adequately address your questions today, and that next time your attempts at pregnancy will be successful. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,

Dr. Brown

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN