Is iron saturation value of 8% a cause for concern?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: What does an iron saturation of 8% mean when the norms are listed as 20-55%. Should I push my doctor to do something? I am a breast cancer patient and receive Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It indicates iron deficiency and needs replacement

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had gone through.Based on the history of breast dosease that you have shared, Your clinician might have ordered it if he or she finds low hemoglobin in the blood and the cause of that low hemoglobin is to be found out that whether it is due to the chemo medicines or due to low iron in the body?

Iron levels are usually not exact indicators of iron levels and need of replacement so usually this ratio between iron and it's binding capacity to the carrying protiens is calculated which indicates whether available iron is lower or higher than normal.

The readings in your case indicates and need for replacement of iron and that can can be done both orally and intravenous via injections or infusions. It can wait till your next appointment and you may start the replacement even if OTC supplements are available.

Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T