Is iodine supplement good for hypothyroidism?

Excellent

Endocrinologist
Question
If I have Hypothyroidism, is taking an iodine supplement okay?

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About iodine supplements;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!

The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto thyroiditis.
It means that your body produces some antibodies that destroy the thyroid gland and as a result, it does not produce enough hormones. At this point, you have to take the hormone orally.

Taking iodine supplements will not harm, but they won't help as the gland is destroyed and despite giving iodine it is not able to produce hormones.

In our days, hypothyroidism due to iodine deficiency is very rare as the foods are fortified with iodine.
So, taking iodine supplements is not dangerous but they hardly can help.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Follow-up: Is iodine supplement good for hypothyroidism? 1 hour later
I believe about the only food with iodine added is salt and since we've been told not to eat very much salt, we're getting less iodine. I don't know if I have Hashimoto thyroiditis, so if I take iodine and it doesn't help, that might indicate that I may have Hashimoto thyroiditis. If it does help, wouldn't that indicate that I may not have the disease and my thyroid medication isn't needed? Either way would the iodine hurt to take to narrow done what is needed? If it's not needed, I prefer not to take Levothyroxin.

Add'l info: I read that iodine used to be used in baking bread and pastas but now mostly bromine is being used so we're getting less iodine. I don't know to what degree that may be happening.

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Check the antibodies of Hahshimoto:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
Fortunately, Hashimoto thyroiditis is easily confirmed/ruled out.
I would suggest to check the Antibodies (AntiTPO and antiThyrglobuline), if they are high, it is Hashimoto thyroiditis and levothyroxine should be started, otherwise you can try iodine supplements.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta