Is intermittent tingling sensation and numbness on the right side of the body a concern?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 7 Dec 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a loved one who is experience tingling/numbness on the R side of his body. It started on the top of the R foot (numbness) on 2/23 which has since almost resolved. Today he feels slight tingling on the R face, "like a sunburn". His R index and pinky fingers at the tips also have slight tingling. No other symptoms. Should we be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Should be concerned.

Detailed Answer:

I think those symptoms certainly need some looking into. Such abnormal sensations when present in one half of the body and face may indicate a brain lesion which typically manifests that way. Therefore, it should be evaluated for the possibility of lesions like stroke, tumor, multiple sclerosis etc.

Of course, it is heartening that he doesn't complain of any headache or other symptoms like muscle weakness (paralysis), it means that it shouldn't be a major lesion. It hopefully may even be due to some other cause like anxiety. However, a neurological exam may evidence other signs which have been missed.

If it is the case of say a stroke even if a mild one, tests should be done regarding the cause. So I would stress again the need for a neurological exam and depending on the findings possibly brain imaging.

You should contact your primary physician sooner rather than later for that reason. If symptoms worsen, you may even go to the ER.

Hope I have answered your query. I remain at your disposal for other questions.

Dr. Olsi Taka
Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 12 minutes later
Thank you. He since has said the tingling is almost gone. Does it come and go in the above situations or is it usually constant? He does have a lot of stress with his job and was has anxiety about his health.

We have an appt with his PCP on Thursday.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually constant.

Detailed Answer:

The fact that it comes and goes is positive. Usually the symptoms are more constant so it makes me hopeful that it may be due to anxiety as well. However, given the presence only on one half of the body I maintain that it should be evaluated. If no new symptoms appear, it can wait until the Thursday appointment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Olsi Taka
Neurologist