Is intermittent pain in the head a sign of nerve blockage?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 11 Sep 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have been having a vague ache in the top left part of my head (toward the back) for the past few days. Is this cause for concern? It is not constant. It comes and goes which makes me worry that it could be a blockage or nerve problem. When I take a couple of Tylenol, it goes away but comes back once the pills wear off. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be occipital neuralgia, nerve related pain.

Detailed Answer:

It is understandable to be concerned, but blockage of blood vessels in the brain do not normally present this way. Blockage of blood vessel would cause stroke symptoms with weakness on one side of the body, change of the face, slurred speech.

Nerve related pain can be intermittent in nature, it can be temporary and it is possible that the pain may resolve on its own. Pain towards the back that is nerve related is called occipital neuralgia. Neck tension, arthritis of the neck, infection are some of the causes.

Other causes include- trauma to the area, infection of the scalp in the area. If the symptoms continue,then you consider seeing your doctor for an assessment.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James,
General & Family Physician.