Is intake of vegetable juices instead of fresh vegetables advisable?

Kathy
Kathy Shattler

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: This is a question for a nutritionist. I hate vegetables - especially raw vegetables, so here's my question. I want you to give numerical values for the following choices where eating raw vegetables is a 10 and eating no vegetables is a 0.

Juicing raw vegetables
Steaming lima beans and adding 2 or 3 tablespoons worth of Smart Balance margarine (I know of no other vegetables I would eat steamed)

Store bought vegetable juice (assuming I check for added sugar)
Store bought (Bird's eye) seasoned frozen vegetables
Spinach or sweet potato ravioli
Raw vegetables with some sort of vegetable dip.
sweet potato fries
Answered by Kathy Shattler 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome to HCM. I have reviewed your question

Detailed Answer:
Fresh vegies with low fat dip would be a 9.5
Store bought vegies with nothing on them 10
Steaming Lima beans with Smart Balance 9.0(flaxseed oil in Smart Balance :)
Store bought Birds Eye frozen vegetables 8.5
Vegetable Juice 8.2
Spinach or sweet potato ravioli 5 because of the addition of starch and sauce
Sweet potato fries - baked 8

Rating vegetables is fairly unique. Fresh with nothing is best. Choose what you like the first choice, but eat vegies with the lowest amount of fats/dips possible. The vegetable juice denatures the fiber and while fiber is still there, it is now in a different form.

I hope this has helped. Kind Regards, XXXXXXX Shattler, MS,RDN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Kathy Shattler 7 hours later
Eating fresh vegetables is not a choice. With the exception of green peppers and occasionally carrots, I find vegetables literally nauseating. And what about fresh vegetables with dip that is not low fat - where would you rank that? Also, I left two things out:

frozen spinach covered with 2-4 tablespoons of smart balance

carrot juice (which I used to think was healthy)

Also, I get my fiber from metamucil.

thank you again

Thank you.

l
Answered by Kathy Shattler 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You asked me to rate the raw vegies on the list so I included them

Detailed Answer:
I can truly understand the vegie issue. It is far better to get the vegetable juice into your body than nothing at all.

Metamucil does provide fiber, but not the nutrients found in those vegetables.You said you don't eat fresh vegetables, but eating vegetables with a high fat dip is good/bad from a total health perspective. What kind of fat? Do you need to watch your calories or blood lipids? I generally make my own healthy dip. So, depending on many variables a more accurate scoring choice could be made.

Frozen spinach with Smart Balance is a good choice if raw vegies are out! Smart Balance has a blend of healthy fats including flaxseed oil.Spinach is high in iron as well.

Carrot juice is still healthy. Just because the juice fractionates the fiber doesn't mean the vitamin A is lower. Carrot juice is beneficial for its nutrients and even the fiber in the altered state. So, another variable, what percent whole juice are you getting vs. watered down vegie juice? If clients like to juice their vegies,I recommend investing in a JUICER.Rather than avoid vegies altogether, enjoy carrot juice!

And, just a little lesson on fiber. There are two types - soluble and insoluble. Metamucil is soluble fiber. Insoluble fiber is obtained from grains predominantly but the take home message is that we need both types daily.

Good sources of soluble fiber include oats and oatmeal, legumes (peas, beans, lentils), barley, fruits and vegetables (especially oranges, apples and carrots). Insoluble fiber does not absorb or dissolve in water. It passes through our digestive system in close to its original form.

Functions of Insoluble Fiber

move bulk through the intestines
control and balance the pH (acidity) in the intestines

Benefits of Insoluble Fiber

promote regular bowel movement and prevent constipation
remove toxic waste through colon in less time
help prevent colon cancer by keeping an optimal pH in intestines to prevent microbes from producing cancerous substances

Top Insoluble Fiber Foods

Wheat XXXXXXX 11.3 grams of insoluble fiber per 1/2 cup
All XXXXXXX cereal, 7.2 g per 1/3 cup
Most beans (1/2 cup)
Kidney beans, 5.9 g
Pinto beans, 5.7 g
Navy beans, 4.3 g
Lentils, 4.6 g per 1/2 cup
Shredded Wheat cereal, 4.5 g per cup
Most Whole grains. Bulgur, for instance, contains 4.2 grams of insoluble fiber in 1/2 cup
Flax seeds, 2.2 g per 1 tbsp
Vegetables (1/2 cup)
Okra, 3.1 g
Turnip, 3.1 g
Peas, 3 g

So, did I clear the last two queries up as well as the fiber confusion? Also, when cooking vegies you can manage to eat, remember cooking methods are important. The less time and heat, the better the nutrient retention. Lightly steam vegies in a vegie steamer; save liquid vegies simmered in for soups/broths; never fry vegies; roasted sweet potatoes are better than no sweet potatoes. Get the idea?

I hope I have clarified everything. If not, feel free to contact me for further clarification of more focused question.

Thank you for stopping by and getting help with a very common ordeal. XXXXXXX Shattler, MS,RDN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T