question-icon

Is inhalation of paint fumes harmful?

default
Posted on Fri, 29 Jul 2016
Question: I am 39 years old good general health and weigh about 150 pounds. I wasn't smart and was spray painting shutters in my garage without a mask. Even with the door opened after I stepped out and went back in I noticed the fog from the fumes. Now I'm worried about the toxins especially those that would cause cancer. Should I be worried? How long will it take for my body to rid itself of the toxins?
doctor
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Do not expose again

Detailed Answer:
Hi,

You were correct you should have used mask for painting. But do not worry, one exposure to spray paint would not cause cancer or would not convert the normal cells to cancer ones. If you have any other problem related to red eyes, reddened skin, breathlessness due to exposure, please let me know.
Only repeated and prolonged exposure of the spray paint (silica and asbestos containing and other solvents) would cause cancer. These toxins when exposed leave the body in 3 days to 7 days depending on the solvent the paint has.
Next time on please use proper gear to paint the shutters. Put charcoal cubes all over the place so that they absorb these toxic fumes.

Hope this is clear.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
doctor
default
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (4 hours later)
Thank you for your help. Ok so technically doing 3 pairs of shutters off and on all day the way I did them wouldn't or would be considered "repeated and prolonged" exposure? I went through about 5 cans... Am I still ok? Or more concerning now?
doctor
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Years of exposure

Detailed Answer:
no it is not concerning.
though it was repeated it was not for years or even months. just a day is just fine.
so assuming that you do not have skin rash, or red eye or breath issues that means the toxin gas did not affect the outer parts of body, how can it get inside cells transform?
think logically, is it not? cancer transformation takes for years of exposure.

Good health. if you so not have more questions, please close and rate.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 1731 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Is inhalation of paint fumes harmful?

Brief Answer: Do not expose again Detailed Answer: Hi, You were correct you should have used mask for painting. But do not worry, one exposure to spray paint would not cause cancer or would not convert the normal cells to cancer ones. If you have any other problem related to red eyes, reddened skin, breathlessness due to exposure, please let me know. Only repeated and prolonged exposure of the spray paint (silica and asbestos containing and other solvents) would cause cancer. These toxins when exposed leave the body in 3 days to 7 days depending on the solvent the paint has. Next time on please use proper gear to paint the shutters. Put charcoal cubes all over the place so that they absorb these toxic fumes. Hope this is clear.