Is ingestion of Magnesium oxide with Calcium carbonate by a 2-year-old harmful to the child?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Child Health
Question: would a 250 mg tablet of magnesium be toxic to a 33 lb. 2 and 1/2 year old child. spit most of it out, no symptoms other fell asleep earlier the usual. no symptoms for 4 hours., but now I'm worried after reading online articles . it was magnesium oxide with calcium carbonate he ate small donut and snacks and milk to drink after no complaints.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Toxicity unlikely

Detailed Answer:

The mentioned dose is unlikely to be toxic to a 33 lb 2.5 year old child. Give him plenty of water to drink and he should be fine. Be sure to take him to the ER in the unlikely event that anything out of place seems to be taking place.

Take care,
Dr. Diptanshu Das, Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng