question-icon

Is infection possible by touching a dead bird despite using a disinfectant?

Posted on Tue, 23 Sep 2014
Question: My curious daughter (8 years old) decided to touch a dead bird she found at the park. It had been dead awhile; quite decomposed on one side. I washed her hands in restroom. Then used purell. Any cause for concern? Shots are currents, healthy.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (28 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You should not worry too much about that

Detailed Answer:
although dead animals (including birds) may carry harmful organisms for humans, the chance your daughter caught something is very small. You did well to wash her hands and use disinfectant. It is important for you to know that you did all that you could. There is no need for antibiotics or any treatment unless your daughter gets sick, which as I've told you is a very rare possibility.
You should advice her though, to stay away from dead animals because their death can be related to infectious causes.
I hope I've addressed your concerns.
If you need more information, please do ask!
Kind Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis