Owl Image

Is increased CEA post surgery for colon tumor normal?

Owl Image
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Question
My father had surgery in march to remove a colon tumor. He was dukes c1 however his cea in may was 3, XXXXXXX 4 and july 6. We are worried re the rise?
Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
CEA IS NOT ACCURATE ENOUGH.

Detailed Answer:
HELLO AND WELCOME,

CEA levels are used post operatively to see for metastasis indication clues.
Levels are elevated in majority of the patients who have had metastasis.

HAVING SAID THAT ITS STILL NOT DIAGNOSTIC FOR EITHER METS OR RECURRENCE.

I would advise a repeat Colonoscopy and PET scan to clear the picture about recurrence and METS both, meaning colposcopy to detect recurrence and PET scan to see for any distant metastasis.

hope this helps.
let me know if there is a query if not plz close the discussion and rate my answer.
thanks

Follow-up: Is increased CEA post surgery for colon tumor normal? 3 hours later
But such a rise like this is not normal right?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no such a rise is not normal.

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome,

No such a rise is not normal but CEA alone should only be used as a marker or clue towards further workup.
The diagnosis of recurrence or metastasis cannot be made alone just on the basis of CEA.

Thanks.