Is inappropriate genital touching in children a cause for concern?
Normal in most of the babies
Thanks for asking on HCM
Child of this age are very exploratory in nature. They start their exploration from their body first. It is normal to explore different parts of the body and also feel the sensation by touching them. Parents get more worried when child touch the undesired part like genitalia or anus.
Sometimes it is related to toilet training also as this the age when toilet training is at its peak.
I suggest you not to overreact rather try to make him understand that the anal area contain germs and putting finger is unhygienic. Wash his hand properly with soap and clean the undernails with nail brush to avoid spread of germs.
Most of the time this habit goes as the child grows.
Still I would request you to get him examined by a pediatrician to rule out worms or any anal irritation.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more doubt.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of genital sores
- What causes genital herpes
- Genital pain in children
- Pregnancy by touching of genitals with no clothes
- Chronic genital pain causes
- Causes of male genital itching
- Causes of genital ulcers
- What causes genital ulcers
- Genital leukoplakia caused by medication
- Genital herpes cause uti
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting