• question-icon

Is impregnation possible with low sperm count?

Posted on Thu, 2 Oct 2014 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hi ,My age is 32 yrs now.I went to sement analasys recently.Sperm count came as 1.5 mill/ml.20%active.
is there any possibility to conceive naturally.if it is ok what needs to be done.I would like to take some vitamin tablets and need to check about sperm count after some days.Please sugest any vitamin tablets.
Thanks,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing..
I understand your concern.

Is this the only semen analysis done? Get a repeat semen analysis after 3 days of abstinence before getting into any conclusion.

With a sperm count of 1.5 million and motility<40%, it will be difficult to conceive naturally if the count is same in repeat sample also. However you can try for intrauterine insemination, IVF and ICSI with good success.

There are various methods to improve sperm count and motility. They include:
1.Avoid hot water bath, wear loose undergarments, avoid heat in the scrotal area like in welders and jeep drivers.
2.Stop smoking, alcohol and drug abuse.
3.Take lots of fruits and fruit juices rich in Vit C like citrus fruits, green leafy vegetables, food rich in zinc and selenium like liver, red meat, shell fish, oysters.
4.Maintain normal weight, avoid over exercise.
5.Stress should be reduced.Relaxation exercise and yoga will help.
6.Vitamin E, lycopene, L-carnitine and minerals are available as tablets in various trade names which has to taken daily once for 3 months and repeat semen analysis after 3 months.

Hope I have answered your queries. Feel free to ask any doubts. Good day.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 25 minutes later
Hi Madam,
Thanks for your reply.is there any specific( which contains All vitamins you specified).tablets to increase sperm count.If i follow your instructions how much time it will take to increase sperm count.Will count increase gradually or 3 months it takes to improve.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing..

The tablet is available in different countries in different trade names. Its content is L-carnitine, lycopene, vit E, selenium, zinc and other minor minerals. Its available in XXXXXXX in the trade name of Co-Q, Quantus 100 etc. Please check with your prior to starting these medication.

Sperm count will increase gradually. Minimum of 3 months is required for the sperm value to increase. A drastic change cant be expected. Lets hope for the best.. If after 6 months also sperm count is below 5 million, its advisable to go for IUI and later on IVF/ICSI because female age is an important factor for pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your queries. If no furthur doubts, please close the conversation and rate my answer. Good day.
Dr. Dalia Muraleedharan

OBGYN