Is immobility and lack of verbal communication a symptom of major depressive disorder?

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I was diagnosed with a number of mental health illnesses/diagnosis about 10 years ago now. major depressive disorder/borderline personality disorder/dependent personality disorder/emotionally unstable personality and Generalised Anxiety Disorder. Generally when I am in a depressive lockdown/episode I am unable to move and verbally communicate. My first question is; Is this normal for a diagnosis of major depressive disorder?

My second question is: Some mornings when the carers come into my flat to wake me up and get me up; they have difficulty waking me. Sometimes I am asleep. Sometimes I look like I am asleep because my eyes are shut; however I have difficulty opening them then I have difficulty verbally communicating with the carers. Is this part of major depressive disorder or could it be something else?
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
probably depressive stupor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I can understand your concerns.

Major depressive disorder is usually group of symptoms which commonly include sad mood, hopelessness, helplessness, worthlessness, loss of interest and decreased energy levels.

Depressive lockdown in which one is unable to move and verbally communicate is simply known as depressive stupor. Though not a common symptoms, but when present, it is categorized as a psychotic feature. It can be due to emotional trauma or major setbacks in life.

Personality disorders, anxiety disorders can occur as a comorbidity with major depression.

The description for your second question is the classical description of depressive stupor. It can occur as a part of major depressive disorder.
In such cases, drugs like benzodiazepines (clonazepam, lorazepam) or antipsychotics (olanzapine or risperidone) can help.

Kindly discuss this with your doctor as these drugs are prescription drug.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to ask further.
Thanks